Child and Teen Sims can choose to Quit or Join school at your whim. Comes with an optional UnlimitedPTO add-on.
No Auto Enroll
The scripted part of the mod effectively disables auto-enrolling. Whether you reload, travel, or age up Toddler --> Child or Child --> Teen, Sims will never be enrolled in school without your doing it.
Unfortunately, this was the only way I could figure out how to disable it, so it is what it is.
Quit or Join
- Join School (TEEN): You can join school by opening up your phone, going to the Career/Household panel, and clicking "Find a Job," or click "Join a Career" under the Career/School panel.
- Quit School (TEEN): You can quit school by opening up your phone, going to the Career/Household panel, and clicking "Quit Job." The game will prompt you to confirm your decision, the same as if you're quitting a career as an adult.
- Join School (CHILD): You can join school by opening up your phone and using the "Join After School Activity" option.
- Quit School (CHILD): You can quit school by opening up your phone and using the "Quit After School Activity" option.
Children can't be whisked away from having too low of a Grade. I originally put this in the mod to handle situations where you quit/rejoin a lot and end up with a terrible grade that is hard to get out of and puts your Child Sim close to being taken away; for now, it's the default (and only) up to date version, along with grades not going down when you quit/rejoin.
Due to how the baked in logic of quitting/joining works for careers in the Maxis Python code, allowing school to be quittable means you can't be in school and add another career on top of it.
For this reason, I long ago made the different versions ChildTeen and ChildOnly, in case you wanted Child Sims to be able to quit/join school, but keep Teens restricted, thereby keeping their possibility of enrollment in school and career at the same time, intact.
With Seasons, this same problem now exists for Child Sims with joining an "After School Activity" and being enrolled in school at the same time.
To create a sort of workaround for this, since the problem now exists for both ages with this mod, I created an optional, additional download, UnlimitedPTO, that makes it so that Child and Teen Sims can take time off from school, one day at a time, without having a limited number of days. I recommend using this as a standalone alternative to the mod if the aforementioned career/school restriction is more important for you to avoid than being able to quit/join school at will.
This mod overrides several game files. Mods that edit the same files will conflict. The files are as follows:
- commodity_Career_Child_Neglect | S4_339BC5BD_00000000_0000000000018282
- career_Child_GradeSchool | S4_73996BEB_00000000_000000000000325F
- career_Teen_HighSchool | S4_73996BEB_00000000_0000000000002545
- phone_JoinCareer_Child | S4_E882D22F_0000001A_000000000002EC8A
Scripting note for other modders: The script to avoid auto enroll edits "_apply_school_career" in simulation\careers\school\school_tuning.py (so any scripts that change the default code for that method will conflict... appending code may or may not)
The package file comes in two versions: ChildTeen and ChildOnly
This was a decision I made long ago, so that if you want Child sims to be able to quit/join, but you don't want Teens to have their joint school/career thing mucked with (see Ages section of features for an explanation on this), you can just apply the possibility of quitting to Child sims. Teens will still be affected by the no-auto-enrolling script though.