Adds a pie menu called Skill Lock that enables you to Lock or Unlock skill gain for individuals Sims at will. An important addition for making Sims feel like individuals, rather than slowly becoming amazing at everything.
- Lock All Skills: Adds all possible skill locks on the Sim (including for xpac skills you don't have)
- Unlock All Skills: Removes all current skill locks on the Sim
- Lock Skill... (pie menu, leading to individual lock for each skill in the game)
- Unlock Skill... pie menu, leading to individual unlock for each skill in the game
- Randomize... pie menu, leads to the following two options...
- Lock Random Skills (Base Game): Locks five random skills, selecting ONLY from skills that come with base game
- Lock Random Skills (Xpac Skills Included): Locks five random skills, selecting from all skills, including expansions
Teen or older
Sims that are Teen or older get access to locking every possible skill in the game, including those from expansions. This is up to date with Get Famous. Any skills added after that have not been added yet, or I forgot to update this note because that's a possibility too. See the Options section for details on how the commands work.
Child Sims can lock the child skills Creativity, Mental, Motor, and Social. They can also lock adult skills, in the event of, for example, wanting to max Mental, but not get a headstart on Logic.
Toddlers can lock the toddler skills Communication, Potty, Thinking, Movement, and Imagination. Unlike the other ages, they don't get access to the randomization options or locking/unlocking everything at once.
How it Works
This mod sets up a multiplier of zero for any given "locked" skill. Anything multiplied by zero is zero, so it cancels out any and all skill gains for that skill, reducing them to nothing.
Note that if a skill is already visible under the Skills bar, locking it won't make it disappear. Nor will it reduce the progress. It only freezes the current progress.
Also note: Example time. You lock Parenting skill before it's even visible on the Skills bar. You go do some Parenting action that would normally give you a chunk* of Parenting XP. Instead, you get no XP, but the notification for Parenting being "acquired" happens anyway. And it will happen every time you get a chunk of XP. If you want to avoid this notification quirk, just let the skill become acquired and then lock it.
*This only applies to chunks. Skill gain that happens gradually, such as practicing on the Piano, shouldn't trigger the notification.
What happens if I don't own every xpac? Example: If you don't own Spa Day, the Wellness skill will show up as a blank string in the Lock/Unlock options. It can be used, but it will add an unlock that doesn't do anything.
Unfortunately, if you own no xpacs, this means you'll have quite a few blank strings. You'll just have to navigate the pie menu around them. I would have liked to separate stuff cleanly and be able to offer different versions, but that would have been an unholy nightmare to keep track of, so blank strings it is!